Monday, November 7, 2011

Thank you Ira Glass

I know you shouldn't quote from someone you're not familiar with, and maybe this will come back to bite me, but this quote definitely resonates within me. I am so close to quitting all of the time it's become boring - at least to me and I know it must have to my close friends also.

I often wonder why being creative is such a problem for me. I enjoy making things. I love perfecting things, honing a craft. I love beauty. I have the interest and excitement and a need to keep coming back. It is obviously important to me. I am also fortunate enough to be able to pursue my artistic endeavours, so why is it that I find it so hard?

I think Ira Glass is bang on when he says that there is a gap and this is the first time I have looked at my struggle with creativity in this way.

The gap between my taste and my ability. The fear I have that my work doesn't have that 'special thing'. It's with me all the time and it eats me away.

So thank you Ira Glass for the encouragement. 'It's gonna take awhile' but I've 'just gotta fight my way through it'.

Hopefully ....


(By the way, to all those who are amazed that I have lived in this country for twenty odd years now and do not know who Ira Glass is, I will be checking him out, so that I know who I'm dealing with.)
















No comments:

Post a Comment