Thursday, February 16, 2012

Painting thoughts.



I'm going to get more wood to paint on as I'm not really enjoying canvas.
On wood I like to lay down the design and colour with acrylics, seal it with clear gesso, and then work it with oil pastels.
Sennelier oil pastels are my favourite.
I'm not sure which is the best wood to use, however. Fortunately we have a Jerry's just up the road so I might have to make a trip there to touch them all and find out.


The painting below was done on a bit of wood I got from the local building suppliers. I like that it is thin and that I can cut it to the shape I want, and, of course, it was also cheaper than art board, but, is it good? Will it warp? Blister? Rot?
Then I have to frame it.
The advantage of art boards is that they come already blocked and they don't necessarily need framing. They are ready to hang straight on the wall.
I know I don't like these clay boards, although I haven't tried all mediums on them yet, but it's a relief to, at least, eliminate one type.


The problem I have with my painting is that I'm all over the place. I feel that if I could just stick with one medium, one canvas/board, and one style for just a little while, I might actually get somewhere.
It doesn't mean I have to stick to it, but it might mean I get some satisfaction from developing it.




Man! I've just managed to talk myself out of painting altogether! Does anyone else get that, I'll never be any good at it anyway, so it doesn't matter what process you chose, niggling, nasty, deflating thought creep in whenever you start getting excited about stuff?


Too much thinking ...



































thursday notes.
stop thinking!



No comments:

Post a Comment